- Living On Campus
- Apply For Housing
- Rates & Contracts
- About Us
- In the Halls
Paid Student PositionsAdministrative Assistant / Community Fellow (CF) / International Fellow (IF) / Peer Academic Leader (PAL)
Resident Advisor (RA) / Desk Assistant / Summer Conference Assistant
The Desk Assistant (DA) is responsible for the assistance of The Office of Housing & Residence Life staff and students in communities containing desk operations. The DA may work in more than one community and will be under the direct supervision of the Coordinator for Residence Life (CRL) or Assistant Coordinator for Residence Life (ACRL) in that community when scheduled. The DA will have multiple responsibilities including but not limited to administrative tasks, customer service, student/guest referral, and office management. The DA will serve as a first contact for students and guests in The Office of Housing and Residence Life and thus is required to demonstrate a high level of professionalism. The following sections will outline major areas of responsibility.
Customer Service & Referrals
- Be knowledgeable and able to provide information and referrals to students and guests as necessary.
- Answer phone lines professionally and be prepared to share information requested.
- Maintain a neat and clean appearance of self and desk area.
- Assist students in the checkout of recreation equipment.
- Perform lockout procedures for residents as necessary.
- Assist in the reservation of common spaces and classrooms.
- Report any suspicious or disruptive activity to the police/CRL/building staff as appropriate.
- Maintain communication and cooperation with all members of the Office of Housing and Residence Life staff.
- Maintain a positive attitude in all interactions.
- Complete all clerical tasks as assigned by supervisor or The Office of Housing and Residence Life leadership.
- Staff the desk for the duration of all hours assigned.
- Complete daily and/or weekly key audits as assigned by building supervisor.
- Hang informational signs and create common area decorations/bulletin boards as assigned.
- Respond to facility/safety concerns when necessary.
- Assist in the check-in and/or check-out of students as necessary.
- Maintain an open line of communication with building supervisor through meetings and/or reports.
- Distribute mail/advertisements to staff mailboxes.
- Complete inventory of recreational equipment, office supplies, and programming materials.
- Manage individual room files including room condition reports, roommate agreements, lockout forms, and any other pertinent information.
- Oversee access to student files and maintaining the security and confidentiality of any personal information obtained in the course of employment.
- Assist in the management of the building calendar and any other system as requested.
- Any and all other duties as assigned which may include use of PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Google Docs, and other computer programs.
Conditions of Employment and Compensation
- DA staff must attend all trainings and meetings as scheduled.
- DA staff may assist in the training of new staff members as required.
- DA staff may be subject to periodic evaluation to be determined by building supervisor(s).
- Continuation of employment is dependent on the successful fulfillment of all responsibilities and expectations.
- All stuff must be a UNCG student at the time of employment. A lapse in student status or enrollment will result in the immediate discontinuation of employment.
- DA staff found responsible for any rule, regulation, or policy of UNCG and/or The Office of Housing and Residence Life may be terminated immediately.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities. This document may be changed at any time for any reason by Housing and Residence Life staff. DA staff are at will employees and employment may be discontinued at any time for any reason at the discretion of building supervisors.