- Living On Campus
- Apply For Housing
- Rates & Contracts
- About Us
- In the Halls
Where Blue and Gold Makes Green:
Sustainability is a chief concern of Housing and Residence Life. As of now:
- All recent renovations have addressed water consumption in showers, water closets, and lavatories and all residence halls now have low flow water fixtures.
- Housing and Residence Life entered into an agreement with Mattress Go Round to begin recycling residence halls mattresses. Beginning with the 750 mattresses from the Quad, UNCG HRL will send its mattresses to Mattress Go Round, where through a unique eco-sustainable combination of manufacturing and recycling, old mattresses are replaced with factory-fresh mattresses. Instead of 750 mattresses dumped in the landfill, they are recycled and reused. HRL plans to recycle approximately one thousand mattresses each summer.
- Housekeeping chemicals are Green Seal products.
- A lighting project (funded by a grant) allowed for the installation of $200,000 worth of efficient lighting fixtures in place of inefficient fixtures in the residence halls.
- We are moving to microfiber floor cleaning process.
Sustainability efforts in the new Residence Halls:Jefferson Suites and the Quad:
Jefferson Suites and the Quad are registered LEED Silver. LEED projects must have the following sustainable features:
- Water fixtures
- Electrical controls
- No irrigation on landscape after one year
- Low E windows (Reflect heat from sun)
- White reflective roof coverings
- Local suppliers for construction materials
- Sustainable furniture manufacturers
- Low VOC paints and adhesive
In addition, Jefferson Suites and the Quad have features in place to improve:
- Low flow toilets
- Low flow shower heads
- Low flow sink faucets
- Motion sensor lighting controls
- Motion sensor heating and A/C controls
In addition to what we are doing behind the scenes, it is our hope to educate students on an ongoing basis to recommend responsible behaviors and sustainable practices in the residence halls, specifically, and on campus, in general.
All of the steps that students take to follow sustainable practices not only ensure that the residence hall grounds stay neat and inviting, but result in a large impact on the environment. To find out more, please browse through the menu items on the right.
Find Out More About Sustainability
Find more information about campus sustainability and sustainability in general: