We are hopeful you have thoroughly read the September 11 email sent to all members of the university community. It is available here. (Just scroll down the page.)
With severe weather expected over the next few days, this email is designed to provide information for students living in the residence halls for the duration of the weather event. The residence halls will remain open, though other university resources including Dining Services will have more limited operations. Residents should look at SPARTAN ALERT for specific university services and offices which may be affected.
In preparation for the weather, residents should take the following steps:
- Monitor the weather and the SPARTAN ALERT system for updated information
- Close and lock all windows
- Report all facility issues immediately with a FIXT Work Request or by calling the non-emergency police number at 336-334-5963
- With power outages possible, please make any preparations you may need prior to a possible power loss including charging electronic devices
- Residence hall staff will be making contact to identify residents who are planning to stay in the halls, please make sure the hall staff knows if you are planning to be present in the halls. Please also complete the Hurricane Florence Event Form to let Residence Life staff know if you plan to stay in the residence halls over the next few days.
In the event of a power outage, electricity-dependent systems will not be operational (wireless network, room lights, outlets, etc.) Emergency lighting and hall access will be operational in most residence halls, though not all exterior doors will be accessible via your Spartan Card. Signage will be posted in all halls to direct residents to the appropriate door to access the residence hall, and the RA on Duty number. Should a power outage last more than a few hours, electronic communication may be limited. In this event, signage will be posted in each residence hall to relay updates. Students will be notified of these locations should the need arise.
Staff on Site
There will be resident advisor staff on call from 5 p.m. on Wednesday, September 12 – 7 a.m. on Monday, September 17. Please contact the hall duty phone during this time if you need assistance. As always, the UNCG non-emergency line is staffed 24 hours a day and can be reached at 336-334-5963.
If you choose to remain in the halls, please be careful should you choose to traverse campus. There is likely to be areas of standing water and possible obstructions due to the severe weather. Please use caution.
Inform Us and Your Family
It is natural for family and friends to be concerned for you during severe weather. Please inform concerned parties of your plans and stay in contact with them over the next few days.
In addition, please complete the Hurricane Florence Event Form.