At certain times during the year, there are scheduled breaks when most students go home or on vacation. The term “break housing” refers to limited housing availability at an additional charge during these break periods. These include:
- Fall Break (typically in October)
- Winter Break (from December-January)
- Spring Break (typically in March/April)
- Pre-Summer Break (between Spring Semester and Summer School)
- Post-Summer Break (between Summer School and the Fall Semester)
Students Living in the ApartmentsStudents in the apartments will receive an email from Residence Life staff asking about their plans for the Winter Break. This information will be used for monitoring access to the apartments. This includes residents in:
- Spartan Village
- Lofts on Lee
- Spring Garden Apartments
- Tower Village
All Other Halls - Fall Semester Closing and Move Out (Dec. 2 - Dec. 7, 2018)Students living in all halls other than the apartments listed above, and who are returning for the following spring semester should see the instructions and options below.
- Students must check out of their rooms for Winter break (between fall and spring semesters) within 24 hours of their last exam, unless they complete the “Request for Late Stay” form available in Artemis. Students seeking a late stay may request to stay as late as 4 p.m. on Friday, December 7, 2018.
- You may leave your belongings in your Spring 2019 room assignment, but you will not have access to them again until Thurs., Jan. 10, 2019.
- Students participating in Fall 2018 commencement will be allowed to stay in their rooms until 12 p.m. on Dec. 8, 2018.
Fall 2018 Request for Late Stay (Dec. 8, 2018)This form is not to be used by residents in apartment-style housing (Tower Village, Spring Garden Apartments, Spartan Village and Lofts on Lee). If you are registered for Spring 2018, you are eligible to stay during winter break. Likewise, students participating in graduation do not need to complete this form. You will be approved in a separate process. Students who need to stay beyond the regular check out time (24 hours after their last exams) should complete the “Request for Late Stay” form available in Artemis. If approved, you will be sent instructions for checking out late. The latest you may stay is 12 p.m., Sat., Dec. 8. Your request will be reviewed by your CRL, who will contact you about whether your request is approved. Your CRL will provide you with directions for check-out, room inspection and return of your room key. The deadline to complete the late stay form is Dec. 3, 2018.
Request Winter Break Housing on Campus (Dec. 7 - Jan. 7, 2019)
- If you need a place to stay during Winter Break, you can request Break Housing in a Phillips-Hawkins study lounge temporary room from Dec. 7, 2018-Jan. 7, 2019. Log into ARTEMIS to complete the Winter Break Housing form by noon on December 3, 2018.
- The break housing charge for that period will be $600 and the charge will be added to your account on Feb. 1, 2019.
- No meal plan options will be available until Jan. 10, 2019.
- Students taking advantage of temporary break housing do not have access to their personal belongings in any other hall during the Winter Break period, as buildings will be secured.
- Students who need Break Housing after December 3, may e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to be put on a waiting list. You will be notified after December 5 regarding your late request.
Early Arrival for Spring 2019 (Jan. 7, 8 or 9)If you need to move back in earlier than Jan. 10, 2019, you can complete the "Early Arrival Form" in Artemis beginning Dec. 1, 2018.
- The deadline to request early arrival for Spring 2018 is Thurs., Dec. 21, 2018.
- The additional charge of $50 (for Tues., Jan. 7 or Wed., Jan. 8) or $25 for Jan. 9 will be added to your account after Feb. 1, 2018.
Spring 2019 Opening and Check-In (Jan. 10 - 13)Students returning for the Spring 2019 Semester will regain access to their buildings beginning at 8 a.m. on Thurs., Jan. 10, 2019 and should log into Artemis to confirm their return for Spring 2019 by 5 p.m., Mon., Jan. 13. Students in the apartments (Lofts on Lee, Spartan Village, Spring Garden Apartments, and Tower Village) will just need to log into Artemis to confirm their return for Spring 2018 by 5 p.m., Mon., Jan. 13, 2019.
All students may stay in their rooms during the Fall, Thanksgiving, and Spring Break periods without additional charges. Limited (Flex) meal plan options are available to students who choose to stay, so you should check out UNCG’s Dining Services for the most up-to-date information. Off campus flex partners will also be available.
Specific information about how to acquire break housing before and after the summer varies from year to year, depending on what halls are available and the length of time temporary housing is needed.
Information for Students Needing Break Housing from July 20 - August 7ONLY UNCG Students who are living in UNCG housing on campus in Fall 2018 and who need housing during the break between the end of Summer Session 2 (July 20) and the beginning of Fall 2018 (August 8) may apply for Break Housing at this link. Here are the basic terms of Break Housing:
- Cost = $400 for 16 nights.
- Charges will be billed to your UNCG account in September.
- Location: You will stay in your summer housing location until Tuesday, July 31. Beginning at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, July 31 you will pick up the keys to your Fall 2018 assignment and complete your move to your Fall 2018 Assignment by 4 p.m. on Tuesday, July 31.
- IF YOUR SUMMER ROOM IS YOUR FALL 2018 ROOM, YOU WILL NEED TO COME TO HOUSING TO OFFICIALLY CHECK IN FOR FALL 2018.