Items packed and ready to moveAll residential students are bound by the Housing and Dining contract they agree to at the time they submit their housing application. The housing contract is the best place to start when you consider cancelling your housing.

Cancel Your 2020-21 Housing Contract in Artemis > >

We understand that situations arise that may cause you to need to cancel your housing. It is really important that you understand the ramifications of cancellation, so that you are not surprised by charges that may apply. The most up-to-date information and all applicable housing contracts will be available on the “Cancel Your Housing” page of the website.

When you apply for housing, you agree to the terms of the contract for that academic year. If you live on campus in the fall, your housing contract is for the entire academic year. Please note the following terms from the contract:

  • This contract shall be in force for one academic year, consisting of both fall and spring semesters and any applicable summer sessions. Contracts entered into during the contract period shall be in force through the end of the contract period.
  • A Residence hall student who withdraws from University housing while remaining a student will be obligated to pay in full for the contract period unless released from the contract according to the terms specified in the contract.
  • Discontinued enrollment, for any reason, will not terminate the contract except as specified in the section entitled “Cancellation Policies.”
Please note the following, regarding Spring 2021 Housing Cancellation:
  1. Students who graduate at the end of Fall 2020 will not be charged the $500 Cancellation Fee and will be canceled by Housing per the University Graduation List.
  2. Students transferring, withdrawing, or not attending UNC Greensboro for Spring 2021 must cancel their housing.  If you are enrolled in classes for Spring 2021 you may not cancel your housing.  Your Housing Contract that you agreed to at the time you completed the housing application is for the entire 2020-21 academic year. 
  3. In all cases when a student cancels their housing (with the exception of graduating students), the $200 non-refundable prepayment will not be refunded.
  4. Please review the 2020-2021 Housing Contract for all information regarding Cancellation Policies, beginning on page 7. In general you are eligible to cancel your housing for Spring 2021 if you are not enrolled for Spring 2021 (this includes transfers, academic suspensions or dismissal), or are doing a University Internship or Student Teaching Assignment outside of Guilford County.
  5. Students eligible to cancel their Housing & Meal Plan for Spring 2021 will be able to do so in ARTEMIS beginning on October 15, 2020.
  6. New Spring 2021 Applicants are subject to a $500 cancellation fee if they cancel housing after 5 business days of receiving an assignment for Spring 2021.
Please note the following, regarding Fall 2020 Housing Cancellation:
  1. Please review the 2020-2021 Housing Contract for Cancellation Deadlines and Fee.
  2. In all cases when a student cancels their housing the $200 non-refundable prepayment will not be refunded.
If you applied for summer housing and you wish to cancel your housing contract, you must complete a form in ARTEMIS to cancel your housing application. You can visit the summer University Refund Calendar to see what charges may apply.
If you would like to be released from your housing contract for any other reason, you should visit the Housing Contract you agreed to when you signed up for housing. You can then complete an online appeal form in Artemis, or at this link.

Once your appeal form is received you will receive an e-mail with a list of documents you must provide to support your request.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Based upon past experience, less than 10% of all requests to be released from the Housing Contract are approved.
If a student is not 18 years of age at the time the online Housing Application is submitted, the student will enter the email of a parent or legal guardian during the contract step of the housing application. Once the housing application has been submitted, the parent/guardian will receive an email with instructions to follow the link and enter the co-signature code found in the email. If the parent/guardian doesn’t receive a co-signature email after the student has completed the application, email with the email address of the parent/guardian, so the email can be re-sent to them.