Check out the student video about Impact!
Living together in Jefferson Suites
The IMPACT Living and Learning Community is designed as a hybrid of first year and second year students, ready to learn and develop their leadership skills. The community addresses what most employers are looking for in college graduates, leadership development, critical thinking skills and the ability to work with others. IMPACT offers first and second year students a hands on introduction to leadership offering students many opportunities to be an IMPACTful leader.
Impact is a leadership focused living learning community designed to educate future student leaders to be active and engaged members of their community. We will do this by providing a platform to define, expand upon, and display learned ideas of leadership.
IMPACT is a community designed for first and second year students at UNCG of any major interested in exploring leadership within their first two years living on campus at UNCG. Through programming and campus wide partnerships, IMPACT offers students a year of self-exploration, skill building, and powerful networking. Residence Life and the Leadership and Service Learning Office (OLSL) are partners in guiding students through UNCG’s Leadership Framework, a competency based Leadership model designed to prepare students for the demands of work, citizenship, and life in a complex and fast-changing world.
- Open to a select group of new first year students to live on a floor in Jefferson Suites residence hall
- Enroll in and complete the required Spring semester course which includes active community service: ELC 201-01 Introduction to Community Leadership with a Service-Learning (SVL) course marker
- Participate and complete the Bronze Level of UNCG’s Leadership Challenge. For more information click here.
- Up to 30 second-year students who either participated in Impact Bronze first year experience and/or completed the Bronze Leadership Challenge
- Open to Sophomore students who have completed the Bronze Leadership Challenge (preference given to rising second year students who participated in IMPACT first year experience)
- Impact Silver participants must be willing to serve as a mentor for 2 -3 first-year Impact students
- Participate in mentorship training sessions and periodic check-ins with the IMPACT LLC Coordinator
- Enroll and complete the Silver Leadership Challenge organized by the Office of Leadership & Service Learning
- Meet with assigned Silver Leadership Coach and meet the requirements to complete the SLC. For more information click here.
- Rising sophomores apply by invitation only
- Coordinator of Residence Life (CRL), a full-time professional staff member responsible for overall building management and student life of Jefferson Suites.
- Assistant Coordinator for Residence Life (ACRL), a graduate student assistant with primary responsibility for the IMPACT community.
- Resident Advisor (RA), undergraduate student employee and leader for each residence hall floor and community.
Eight Competencies of a UNCG Leader
- Complete the Bronze level of the Leadership Challenge Program and earn a certificate and medallion (to be worn at official graduation ceremony)
- Sophomore who have already completed the Bronze level, will enroll in the Silver level and be assigned a leadership coach.
- Community Leadership Retreat and field trips to Boone, NC and Washington D.C. and more
- Participate in student leadership conferences and events
- Take an academic course with other students living in your hall
- Receive support and guidance from faculty, staff, and peer leaders
- Career exploration through internship opportunities
- Focus on your personal growth
- Discover campus and community leadership opportunities
- First year students complete the required academic course (Introduction to Community Leadership)
- Complete all requirements for either the Bronze or Silver level of the UNCG Leadership Challenge
- Attend living-learning community member events
- Actively participate in weekly scheduled community sessions and workshops
- Live in Jefferson Suites Residence Hall for one academic year
- Be in good academic standing with the university