Watch a video by Make A Difference House students.
Living together in Moore/Strong
In partnership with the Office of Leadership and Service Learning, Make a Difference House is designed for new first-year students of any major dedicated to individual and collective service to the community and willing to engage in experiential learning in and outside of the classroom.
Make A Difference House Mission Statement
Make A Difference House is a service-learning themed living learning community, located in Moore-Strong Residence Hall, open to UNCG students across academic disciplines who are committed to service, leadership, and making a difference in the greater Greensboro community through the application of their academic interests and personal skills.
Make A Difference House Vision Statement
Who can be in the Community?
MADH is mostly geared towards first-year students committed to service who are seeking a meaningful housing arrangement to enhance their first year experience.
Why Join Make A Difference House?
- Service-Learning provides endless opportunities for personal growth, civic engagement, and contributing towards positive change.
- Leadership: MAD House students intentionally develop leadership skills in direct correlation to their service experiences.
- Community Engagement: Through a variety of individual and group service projects, students will become more involved and engaged in the greater Greensboro community.
- Forming Connections: The structure and feel of MADH help students adjust to college life, form meaningful friendships, and develop a sense of belonging to the UNCG campus.
- Typical Highlights throughout the Year: MADH Retreat, LLC Kickoff, Spartan Day of Service, Team QUEST, Group Service Projects (Special Olympics, Welfare Reform Liaison), Holiday Social, Washington D.C. Trip, MLK Day of Service, Empty Bowls, FMS 170 Course in Fall, Leadership Challenge Medallion Ceremony, LLC Showcase, End of Year Celebration.
Structure & Commitment
As one of the featured Living Learning Communities, MADH students live together in a close-knit environment in the Moore-Strong Residence Hall. A variety of programming relating to the service-learning theme provides students with regular opportunities to be engaged in the community. MADH works closely with the Office of Leadership and Service Learning (http://olsl.uncg.edu/) to connect students with service projects, participate in leadership development, and engage in the Greensboro community.
Students in MADH demonstrate a commitment to service, but also to each other by following through on the requirements of the community as part of a team. To be part of MADH, students are required to:
- Attend weekly community meetings and the MADH retreat at the beginning of Fall semester
- Complete at least 20 hours of volunteer service per semester
- Volunteer with MADH as a group during monthly service projects AND individually by identifying and setting up service opportunities on one’s own time
- Get to know your peer leader through informal bonding activities and small group service projects
- Coordinator of Residence Life (CRL), a full-time professional staff member responsible for overall building management and student life of Moore-Strong.
- Assistant Coordinator for Residence Life (ACRL), a graduate student assistant with primary responsibility for the MADH community.
- Resident Advisor (RA), undergraduate student employee and leader for each residence hall floor and community.