Summer 2023 Overview
UNCG will offer convenient, affordable accommodations for camps and conferences from May 22 – July 23, 2023.
A variety of accommodations are available to meet the needs of most camps and conferences of all sizes. All accommodations are on UNCG’s 200+ acres and conveniently located near campus amenities like recreation fields, athletic courts, learning spaces, and dining.
Our summer conference staff is well trained and strive to provide good services to groups staying in residence halls. As always, our main goal is to provide a memorable experience for every conference and camp that stays with us during the summer.
We take pride in our facilities being safe and clean. Our staff maintains all public and community bathrooms and showers. The cleanliness of individual rooms and apartments are the responsibility of camp or conference participants. Summer conference staff have nightly office hours and have an assigned room separate from participants for the duration of the camp or conference. Summer conference staff are available 7pm to 7am each night.
Types of Accommodations
For room reservations, we offer three styles of accommodations: traditional-style halls, suites, and apartments.
- Traditional Style
- Double or Single Participants Per Room
- Community Bathrooms and Showers
- Double or Single Participants Per Room
- Bathroom and Shower Shared Among Suite Members
- Suite Seating Area
- Sink/Vanity Area Shared Among Suite Members
- Single Participants Per Room
- Bathroom and Shower Shared Among Apartment Members
- Apartment Seating Area
- Complete Kitchen: Home Sized Refrigerator, Stove, Sink, cabinets
- Kitchens are not furnished
Our camp and conference summer season will operate from May 22 – July 23, 2023. The priority deadline to reserve housing for camps and conferences is April 1, 2023. All additional housing requests will be based on open housing availability. An External Conference Staff (ECS) member will serve as the main point of contact for conference related items. Major changes to participant numbers must be reported no less than 5 weeks prior to the conference.
Please Note: Housing and Residence Life expects the following ratio of staff to campers:
- Ages 6-8: 1 to 6
- Ages 9-14: 1 to 8
- Ages 15-17: 1 to 10.
All camps and conferences are required to follow university policies with regard to the protection of children on campus, which can be found in the Guide to Operating Youth Programs.
Please follow the steps below
1. Creating a Conference Account
To begin this process, please email Kaci Miller, the Coordinator for Access and Conference Services, at email@example.com with an ECS for your conference group. A conference account will be created on your behalf. You will receive an email with your login information to begin creating a conference housing request.
Below, you can find the FAQ sheet which outlines details related to Housing and Residence Life conference policies and procedures, including details such as the cancellation policy, key and card access and much more. Your reservation will be processed, and a tentative building assignment will be communicated with you as soon as possible, assuming space allocation and other needs can be met.
2. Complete a Conference Housing Request
Once you have created an account by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You can log into the conference portal at go.uncg.edu/conferences.
All conference requests submissions begin on December 15, 2023. The priority deadline for conference housing requests for 2023 is April 1. We know that you may not have all the details you need, but please fill it out to the best of your ability. A quote will be sent to an external conference staff (ECS) member to review and make any necessary changes prior to accepting the quote.
Affiliated camps include any group or program sponsored by a University Department that has an on-going relationship with that department.
- External conference staff are responsible for arranging services beyond housing. Contact information can be found in the Department Resources and Contacts section below.
If you indicate that you are an unaffiliated camp or conference on the housing reservation form, you must also sign a contract with UNCG Housing. This contract will be issued directly from UNCG Housing and Residence Life.
To start this process, please email the Coordinator for Access and Conference Services at email@example.com with details regarding your intended housing request. All other requests beyond housing, will need to contact each department separately. Contact information can be found in the Department Resources and Contacts section below.
3. Quote Confirmation
Once the external conference staff member approves the housing request, a quote will be available in the conference system. After the quote is approved by the ECS, the Coordinator for Access and Conference Services will proceed with the conference booking for housing.
4. Final Confirmation
Four weeks before a camp or conference arrives on campus, the ECS will be sent final confirmation information. The ECS will have two weeks to finalize and make any changes related to the conference booking. Housing and Residence Life must receive final confirmation, a signed contract, and a final roster of participants two weeks in advance of the camp or conference arrival.
5. Check Out and Billing
The conference is then initiated as agreed upon in the final confirmation. After final check-out, the ECS will receive a housing invoice, which will include any additional charges for lost keys, damages, etc. We cannot collect from individual participants.
Departmental Resources and Contacts
Housing – Kaci Miller, Coordinator for Access and Conference Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dining – Alma Turner, Director of Catering and Retail Operations, email@example.com
Parking – Grant Harris, Event & Travel Demand Management Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Athletic Facilities – Kaplan Wellness Center – Sikirat Kazeem, Associate Director in Recreation Wellness, email@example.com
Facilities – Online Form
Elliott University Center – Meeting room reservations – Linda Alexander, Assistant Director for Reservations and Event Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
Registrar – Auditorium Reservations – Dr. Chris Partridge, Registrar, email@example.com
FAQ and Rates
FAQ About Camps and Conferences
Key and Card Access
EXTERIOR DOOR ACCESS
The camp or conference ECS member will determine who is to receive access cards (for exterior door access) and will provide HRL with this information upon final confirmation. Please note that all residence halls are closed and locked 24 hours a day. If camp or conference guests do not have an exterior door access card, they must be escorted by a chaperone or other staff to enter the building.
The camp or conference ECS member will receive the appropriate number of keys, as agreed upon, so that each participant has access to a living space and is able to secure belongings. Participants should be encouraged to keep their keys with them at all times to avoid lock-outs.
- The cost for a lost outside door access card is $10.
- The cost for a lost room door key is $35 for traditional halls and $75 for keys to suites/apartments or community rooms (including rooms in Spring Garden, Tower Village, Jefferson Suites, Spartan Village, The Quad).
- All lost key charges will be charged to the camp or conference ECS member.
The camp or conference ECS member shall provide adequate and appropriate supervision of all persons associated with this program or conference during their stay at UNCG including unscheduled periods of time.
HRL requires the following ratio of campers to staff: Ages 6-8: 1 to 6; Ages 9-14: 1 to 8; Ages 15-17: 1 to 10.
All camps and conferences are required to follow university policies with regard to the protection of children on campus.
The camp or conference ECS member is responsible for adhering to UNCG policy and doing background checks on all adults who will work with children under 18 in summer camps and may be asked to provide evidence of background checks to HRL staff.
HRL will invoice the camp or conference ECS member immediately following the event. HRL does not bill participants individually or accept credit card payments. Full settlement of camp or conference expenses is due within 30 business days of receiving an invoice. Any errors must be reported to HRL within 10 business days of receiving the invoice.
The camp or conference ECS member will receive one final invoice for all charges, typically in the form of an interdepartmental invoice.
The camp or conference ECS member will receive an invoice from UNCG Housing and Residence Life which will include housing charges as part of a detailed invoice for services rendered.
Cancellation of this contract for any reason after final confirmation is received, will result in a charge equal to 10% of the estimated total amount due, or one night’s fee per reserved room (whichever is greater).
Camp or conference ECS members have two options for making room assignments for a camp or conference, as follows:
- Camp or conference ECS members can provide HRL staff with the number of rooms needed and will be given a spreadsheet to make their own assignments to be returned to HRL three weeks prior to check-in.
- Camp or conference ECS members can provide HRL staff with the number of rooms needed and a roster of participants and HRL staff will make assignments three weeks prior to check-in.
- In either case, final rosters need to be agreed upon three weeks prior to the arrival of the camp or conference, unless other arrangements have been made with HRL staff.
Four weeks before a camp or conference arrives on campus, the camp or conference ECS member will be sent final confirmation information. The camp or conference ECS member will then have two weeks to finalize and make any changes related to room/hall access, the number and gender breakdown of attendees, etc. HRL must receive confirmation and a finalized roster of participants three weeks in advance of the arrival of a camp or conference.
Camp or conference ECS members will confirm check-in times and arrival window for participants, chaperones, and staff during final confirmation. If changes or modifications need to be made to these times, a minimum of two weeks advance notice will be required to accommodate these changes. For groups under 100 total participants, please limit check-in/check-out times to a two-hour window.
Safety and Security
- All live-in counselors or chaperones associated with a camp or conference will participate in a safety seminar on check-in day. Fire safety evacuation procedures and emergency response protocol will be reviewed and other HRL policies and procedures will be shared.
- All chaperones and participants are expected to adhere to all state and local laws. Possession and/or consumption of alcohol or drugs within the residence halls is prohibited by all participants.
- Persons not designated as part of the camp or conference listing (guests) are not permitted to stay in the residence halls overnight.
The University agrees to provide the following special services:
- University housing staff will perform check-in and check-out and will provide participants with access to the residence halls.
- A cell phone number will be provided which enables the Client to contact a University housing Summer Conference Assistant (SCA) 24-hours a day. Incoming calls may be routed to appropriate personnel as needed.
- SCAs will arrive at the designated check-in/check-out area 30 minutes prior to the assigned arrival time(s) and one or more Summer Conference Assistants will be temporarily located in the residence hall(s) assigned to the group from 7 p.m.-7 a.m., with desk duty from 7 p.m.-10 p.m., during the entirety of the group’s stay on campus.
- Clients affiliated and unaffiliated with the University must contact University dining directly with all dining questions.
All residence halls on the UNCG campus have free laundry facilities. No prepaid cards or cash is necessary. Washing detergent, dryer sheets, etc. are not provided.
- Linen packs are available to groups who reside in the residence halls. A linen packet consists of two sheets, a pillow, a pillowcase and a blanket, and a towel. The client should indicate that linens are required on the initial reservation form to provide enough time to ensure that linens are ready by the arrival of the group.
- Blankets must NOT be washed in the laundry rooms available on campus.
- If ordered, linens are changed weekly. In order to swap out linens, participants should take the current linens and roll them into the pillowcase and place them outside the door and a new linen pack will be distributed to the room.
- For those receiving only one set of linens for the entire length of a camp or conference, we ask that Participants take the linens and roll them into the pillowcase and place them on their bed prior to check-out. This helps our housekeepers tremendously in keeping record of the linens that were returned.
- Failure to return linens will result in the following charges: $25 for the entire package; $20 per blanket; $10 for missing sheets, $5 per towel.
- Lost Keys – $35 for keys to traditional rooms; $75 for keys to suites/apartments/community rooms (including rooms in Spring Garden, Tower Village, Jefferson Suites, Spartan Village, and The Quad)
- Lost Cards – $10 each
- Lost Linens – $20 per blanket; $25 for entire package; $10 for missing sheets; $5 for towels
- The minimum fee for any emergency FIXT maintenance requests, Locksmiths, or OTIS Elevator Services is $150.
- Building Damages – Damages will be assessed on an individual basis by the Associate Director for Operations and damages will be communicated as soon as possible to the Client. Ten business days after receipt of the invoice, all damage charges will be considered final.
Additional Policies and Procedures
In addition to the information above, additional policies and procedures are outlined on this printable .pdf. Please feel free to make as many copies as you need for the staff in your group. Topics included describe housing policies and procedures that will be discussed at the safety talk prior to your group’s arrival, including, but not limited to:
- Residence Hall policies and damage charges
- Weather Emergencies
- Alarms/Evacuation Procedures
Please view Housing Classrooms here.
Unique Housing Options
Please visit our Unique Housing Situations page for more information.
Summer Group Rates
|Single Room||$31 / night|
|Double Room||$21 / night|
|Suite-Single||$39 / night|
|Suite-Double||$27 / night|
(This rate includes linens)
|$65 / night|
|Apartment Weekly Rate|
(This rate includes linens)
|$350 / week|
|SOAR Rate||$24 / night|
|Single Room||$36 / night|
|Double Room||$25 / night|
|Suite – Single||$43 / night|
|Suite – Double||$34 / night|
(This rate includes linens)
|$85 / night|
|Apt. Weekly Rate|
(This rate includes linens)
|$372 / night|